Many have been working with Microsoft SQL Server for years and most have worked with either Enterprise or Standard edition. Here is a question on it;
What are the editions available with SQL Server 2014?
As I mentioned above, everyone familiars with Enterprise and Standard but Business Intelligence edition is still unknown to many and it is not so common to see the implementation of it too. Here are all available editions;
- Enterprise - Premium offering, provides highest level of reliability for demanding workloads.
- Business Intelligence - Similar to Standard + business intelligence offerings
- Standard - Delivers complete, reliable data management platform without enterprise features.
- Express - Free, available for light-weight applications
- Compact - Free, can be used as an embedded database.
- Web - Specifically for internet-facing workloads and organizations work heavily in websites and services.
- Developer - Similar to Enterprise edition but it is for building, testing and demonstrating functionalities.
- Azure SQL Database - Microsoft cloud offering - offers relational database-as-a-service.
- Microsoft Analytics Platform System - An appliance combining Microsoft’s massively parallel processing (MPP) data warehouse technology–the SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW)–together with HDInsight.