If you are planning for installing SharePoint 2010 on Windows 2008 R2, here are some installations should be done before starting the SharePoint 2010 installation.
- Open Server Manager and click on Add Roles.
- Select Application Server. When selected, it prompts for “Add Required Features”, accept it and continue.
- Under Application Server – Role Services, make sure below items are selected:
- .NET Framework 3.5.1
- Web Server (IIS) Support
- TCP Port Sharing
- HTTP Activation
- TCP Activation
- Named Pipes Activation
- Install SQL Server 2008 (or R2) as the default instance.
- Install ADOMD 10. You can download it from here.
- Install Geneva Framework Runtime. You can download it from here.
- Update windows via Automatic Updates.
- Install the hotfix Windows6.1-KB976462-x64. You can download it from here.
Once you have all installed, you should be able to start and continue SharePoint installation without any issue. Have fun :).